Roast pumpkin with crunchy bits and honey
Leaving the skin on is a major part of how wonderful this recipe is. During the roasting the skin softens completely and is totally edible. The flesh of the pumpkin is so meaty and soft; alongside the crunchiness of the seeds and the sweetness of the honey it’s just one of the best home-cooked sides of all time.
Recipe serves 4
- 1 small whole pumpkin or ½ a large pumpkin, skin on
- 1 ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp allspice
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 60g mixed toasted nuts and seeds ( like pumpkin seed and pecans)
- 2 Tbsp honey
- 2 Tbsp pumpkin seed oil (optional)
- Turn oven on to 190*C and toast nuts and seeds for 15 minutes until golden.
- Meanwhile, wash the outside of the pumkin and cut in half, scooping the seeds out. Slice into half-moons about 3cm thick, leaving skin on.
- In a large mixing bowl toss the pumpkin with the oil, salt and spices until evenly coated.
- Lay out in a single layer on two baking trays and roast for 30 minutes. Turn the pieces over and return to the oven for a further 30 minutes.
- Serve drizzled with honey, pumpkin seed oil if using, and sprinkled with crunchy seed & nut mix.