Italian roast chicken
Everyone has their fave roast chicken recipe - this is ours. Simple and unfussy, it yields the most wonderfully concentrated flavor and super tender meat. Hands down the most succulent breast in any recipe we’ve tried, and there have been a lot. Amazing served with some polenta or simple roast potatoes. Sunday lunch sorted.
Recipe serves 4
- 1 free-range chicken approx. 1.3kg
- 2 sprigs rosemary
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 tsp good balsamic or sherry vinegar
- Salt & pepper
- 150ml hot chicken stock
- 1 tsp Maizena mixed with 1Tbsp cold water just before using
- Turn oven on to 200*C.
- Truss chicken legs together and pop one sprig rosemary and two cloves garlic in the cavity of the bird. Rub all over with the olive oil, some salt and pepper. Lay the other rosemary spring at the bottom of the pan and put the bird on top of it, breast side down. Pour the balsamic into the cavity.
- Roast for 1 hour 15 minutes, turning and basting every 15-20 minutes. Leave to rest on a board uncovered for about 15 minutes while you make the gravy.
- Put the roasting pan on the stove and pour in the hot chicken stock, scraping up all the lovely caramelised bits at the bottom of the pan. Once simmering tilt the pan and quickly stir in the Maizena mixture into the pool of gravy. Bring back to level on the stove, allow to simmer for 30-seconds or so to thicken slightly and pour into serving jug.
- Carve up the chicken and you are good to go.