Broccoli and almond pesto
When there’s a glut of broccoli, get the blender out. This little power veggie is besties with almonds, as proved by this pesto. It’s great with pretty much anything – pasta, pizza, sandwiches, dolloped into soup, stirred through hummus. Make a big batch and freeze in smaller quantities to have on stand by.
Makes 4 - 5 cups
- 500g broccoli, or two heads
- 2 large garlic cloves, peeled and roughly chopped
- 20g basil, washed
- 40g grated parmesan (approx. ½ a cup)
- 100g almonds
- 1 ½ cups olive oil
- 2 tsp salt
- Turn oven on to 180*C and toast almonds for 10 – 15 minutes until golden.
- Meanwhile, put a pot of well-salted water on to boil.
- Cut broccoli into florets and rinse well. Boil for 3 minutes, then drain and run under cold water to refresh.
- Check basil for any woody stems – soft stems are good to keep in.
- Blitz all ingredients together in a blender or food processor, pulsing and stirring as you go, until you have a semi-fine pesto. It might be easier to process in two batches and then combine before decanting to store.
- Will keep well in the freezer for a couple of months.